Sponge Coils are single strand curls created by using a sea foam sponge. Sponge coils are a professional hairstyle that can be styled on a short afro or a teeny weenie afro (TWA) for a curly look. Sponge coils are also ideal for women with 4c natural hair to create a coil pattern.
Where to Purchase a Sponge
You can purchase a sea foam sponge at your local convenience store like CVS or Walgreens. You can also find sea foam sponges at Target or any store that sells spa beauty products.
Tips for Selecting a Sponge
1. Make sure it's soft - Select a sea foam sponge that is soft to the touch, yet firm. A soft sponge ensures that you will not snag or cause breakage to your hair while styling into sponge coils.
2. Make sure it's medium sized - Picking too small of a sponge will make the styling process slower while too large of a sponge will be harder to hold during styling. Choose a medium size sponge that fits easily in your palm.
3. Make sure it's holes are medium sized - The size of the holes in the sponge will determine the tightness of your sponge coils. Small holes will create tight coils, large holes will create looser coils.
Creating Your Own Sponge
To create your own sea foam sponge you will need: scissors, a marker, and a sponge.
1. Use the marker to draw small circles on your sponge. Remember: the smaller the circles, the tighter your coils will be, the larger the circles, the looser your coils will be.
2. Using your scissors, cut holes into the sponge where the circles are drawn.
3. Your sponge is ready to use.
Styling Natural Hair in Sponge Coils
Products you will need...
- sea foam sponge - to create the coils
- hair spritz/spray - to moisturize the hair and add hold
- styler/holding cream - to condition & provide hold
- hair gel - to provide hold
2. Condition your hair with a styler then follow up with a dime size amount of gel. You can also use the hair gel by itself.
3. Rub the sponge onto your hair in a clockwise motion covering the whole circumference of your head. You should see coils appear.
For more help watch this Sponge Coils video tutorial.
Sponge Coils Lookbook
Want to see how you can wear Sponge Coils with a professional outfit? Check out the My Fair Hair Lookbook.
Sponge Twists on 4c Natural Hair via Black Zulu
This article is part of My Fair Hair's "Hairstyles for 4c Hair" series. These hairstyles are selected especially for women with 4c, short to medium length natural hair. If you have thick hair, thinning edges, or a less "visible" curl pattern, these styles are for you as well!
What products do you use to style your sponge coils?